Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What a beautiful, ever changing world we live in.


I don't usually talk politics and I hope that is not how this comes across. I have to admit I wasn't quite sure who to vote for in this last election. Some people may find that absurd depending what side of party lines you were on, but I found that I wasn't alone. This morning I sat there looking at the television, and watched a well spoken, young, articulate black man take his oath to protect and serve us as President. I was moved to tears.
 I am from Mississippi. I probably know more about old southern ideas of discrimination that most. I am also a white girl with blonde hair & blue eyes and therefore haven't experienced the discrimination that some have. I was one of those voices that had little faith in the American people to see beyond the exterior. To elect someone with such a different name and opposite skin color.  I was so moved when he was elected and surprised at the at how far we have all come over the last 50 years. Look at us, we wouldn't have been able to dine in the same restaurant not that long ago. Watching our new president this morning gave me hope in human goodness. We still have so far to go, but I am excited and proud of my country today as I was able to bear witness to history in motion. 

I pray for our new president, whom I did not vote for, but I will follow and think of as he heads this great nation at a time when we need a great leader.

I hope we can all put aside our politics, at least for a while and see the significance & impact of this moment.

What a beautiful, ever changing world we live in. 

I hope to not be so cynical of people in the future. Time really does march on.

Peace & Love on this historic day.

Brandon Jane


No comments: