Thursday, January 22, 2009

The net below . . .


Being a singer/songwriter ain't easy. I'm not complaining, because it beats the hell out of flipping hamburgers (no offense if that's your job ;) but I am probably told no and for no reason whatsoever more than most. Unless your job is of course lawyer. Then you may be told no more than me. It is amazing to get to be creative everyday. It is also frightening, and hopeful and a roller coaster of emotion to make that bet on yourself. And the older I get, the more I realize.... at least personally, how stacked my odds really are. But what do you do when then this is all you know how to do, and all you can think or dream of ?

I will say that on that occasionally good day, when you write something that makes you feel like you have just found the missing piece to a puzzle in the form of an adjective you have been searching for relentlessly on rhymezone.com, it feels like..... this is what you were made for. When I have worked all day on a verse and a chorus if fills my tank back up when I listen back and I can sing along. And all of those days where people pass on your songs, or on you as an artist.... and they tell you they just don't get it, well those days all go away and are totally worth it. Because you feel like you are standing exactly where you are supposed to be, in the palm of God's plan. I think he gives me those days periodically to remind me to keep on, and pick myself back up and try again. Even if I am writing nothing but crap this week, to be able to write music makes me feel like God will never let me up on the high wire without a net below. And I'm not quite so fearful anymore. So, to anyone up on the high wire trying to reach their dreams, don't be afraid!

There is always a net below.

Peace & Love,

Brandon Jane

Listen to:

Patty Griffin
Living with Ghosts

3 comments:

PhilB said...

Wow...you looked into my brain and read my thoughts. I totally understand what you are talking about.

Love the blog...keep up the good work.

Peace,

Phil

Ice Queen said...

Would you grant a wish if you could? . . .Hi Brandon, as sisters in Christ, I pray fully ask you to read this with an open heart. I know my daughter has talked to you but this is the first time I have contacted you, I really wanted to respect yours and Kevin's wishes, but something has come up and I would like you to please consider granting a dream wish for my youngest daughter, Beth. As you know, Kevin was like the older brother that she always wanted and never had. Both Beth and Heather miss him very much and think about him all the time. We are all so very glad that God brought you into Kevin's life and that he married a good Christian woman. May God bless you and your career abundantly. So here's my dilemma, while Beth would give anything to have Kevin sing at her wedding we understand that this in not a possibility. Her and her fiancĂ©e’s favorite song is the one that Kevin wrote "Be There for You" that was recorded by Willie Nelson. The Willie Nelson version is nothing like the original one that Kevin wrote. (Not even close) We have a demo copy of Kevin singing "Be There for You" but is not a clean copy, as it skips. Beth desperately wants that song to be the song that her and Hal do their first dance to at her wedding. I am coming to you as a Christian sister first and secondly as a mother that would like to see her daughter be able to have the song that has so much meaning to her be allowed to be played at her wedding. I am asking you if you could find it in your heart to send a copy of the song to us. It would mean the world to Beth and make her wedding day complete. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

Ice Queen said...

Thank you so much for your response. Her wedding date is set for Oct. 4, 2009. The Lord has sent her a Godly man and we couldn't be happier. If you are able to find the song, email to: leslie_skadsem@chino.k12.ca.us
Sorry it's so long, but it's my work address. God Bless You!

Thessalonians II 3:16
Now the Lord of peace himself give you peace always by all means. The Lord be with you all.